The purpose of the Community Options program is to teach skill development through participation in community oriented activities. This section of the program is where we are able to provide most of our bonus hours and assist people in participating in various community activities. Some of the various programs that we teach while out in the community are street crossing, purchasing, socializing, making choices, accessing various agencies, and developing friendships. This section of or program also allows us to support the people we serve in volunteer work placements.
Integration is a major focus of the Community Options program. This program assists individuals with developmental disabilities to develop skills that will enhance their independence and participation in a variety of activities.
- Community Involvement: The staff work with individuals to assist them in actively participating in community services and opportunities.
- Relationship Building: Friendship is a valuable element of a full and satisfying lifestyle for everyone. The staff at Community Options will provide support and assist individuals to build relationships with others.
- Skills Development: Community Options staff will assist individuals to enhance their skills through a variety of community settings.
What does Community Options have to Offer?
- Community Options strives to create a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere in order to encourage social participation in the community.
- Develop social networks and connections with the community.
- Support systems: Emphasize physical, social and emotional awareness to encourage and promote self-care. This includes but is not limited to areas of: Relationships and communication, personal and professional development, nutrition, movement, exercise and rest.
- Various activities in the community including: exercise, cooking skills, swimming, various classes, volunteer work, workshops, clubs, and many other recreation related activities.
- Active communication and cooperation of the person and their support network. Contact and information provided via e-mail, phone, newsletters, Community Options Survey, satisfaction survey, individual meetings, etc.
We strive to provide the following on an ongoing basis:
- OFFER CHOICES!
- Be positive role-models
- Provide emotional support and feedback while promoting social skills by offering the opportunity for people to establish new relationships and maintain current ones.
- Identify needs and desires of the people receiving services: Work on personal, social and vocational goals using skill development, community networking and integration.
Contact Our Team
Contact the Community Options Team at 250-564-6408.
The Community Options Program is for adults referred by Community Living British Columbia (CLBC). If you are interested in these services, please contact CLBC at 250-645-4065.
If you are interested in this service, please call CLBC at 250-645-4065.